8 Ways to Plant Spiritual Ideas Deep in Your Heart
The fundamental aim of spiritual study is to get facts and principles into the Heart's fertile ground. Ideas must get through habitual and familiar filters; otherwise, the information is diverted from having its full power. It's not how much you read or hear that counts, but how much you take in and make your own.
How can you receive knowledge deep in your core so the principles work for you in far higher ways? Here are eight proven methods that work wonders:
1. Write your own book of development. Gather pearls of wisdom as you read, listen to audio programs or attend talks. More importantly, when YOU have an insight, get it down! You'll find as years go by that the notebook you've created is filled with wisdom that has special resonance for YOU.
2. Contemplate. Picture yourself flying a glider. The tow plane lifts you. Now it's your time to soar. You pull the connection and you're on your own. The winds lift you higher and higher.
The glider is a perfect parallel to the art of contemplation. Focus on a single word, sentence, illustration or experience that matters to you. Put the spotlight of your attention on it. What's in this idea that isn't presently seen? What does the experience REALLY mean?
Then, let go of the thought. Soar in the silence. It is the silence following the focus that reveals the core. The silence takes you beyond what you already understand. Transcend the word, concept or experience and move from theory to revelation. Soar to a higher level of deep and rich understanding.
3. Read aloud. Read enthusiastically and with conviction. You may even wish to stand and gesture freely. You can imagine that you are addressing a large and attentive audience, like your own thoughts that now wish to change. Reading silently exercises your intellect, while reading aloud combines both your intellect and your power of speech.
4. Read with repetition. Take four or five pages from a good book, and read these same pages every day for a week before going on to the next four or five pages. Read them more than once, if you have the time, but at least once a day. Just before going to sleep at night is an ideal time. Something marvelous happens when you do this. Information seeps through old patterns.
I first learned of this method from Og Mandino in his classic book, "The Greatest Salesman in the World. "The benefits are enormous.
5. Be a metaphor hunter. This is wonderful fun. Simply be alert to daily life experiences, historical examples or encounters with nature that have a resemblance or connection to a spiritual principle. For example, let's say you're on a hike. You observe an old tree that has fallen into a stream. The tree is lodged but the flowing water gradually breaks it away and takes it downstream. You think with delight how the flow of Truth clears away old thinking that no longer serves your Heart.
Again, it all comes down to what you plant in your Heart. The same experience happens to two people. One seizes the experience and plants the lesson deep within, the other let's it just bounce off the old and familiar mental patterns.
6. Express the knowledge you gather. See yourself as a conduit of information, like a lake that stays pure by taking in fresh water on one side and releasing it on the other. Refuse to be a stagnant pond! Find ways in harmony with your talents and interests to live and express what you learn, even though you may sometimes be criticized. Write, speak, paint, dance, start businesses, raise healthy children. These are all ways to express spiritual knowledge in action.
7. Transform your automobile into a rolling cosmic university. So much good information is now available on audio CD. Drive time on the less crowded open roads is a great place to absorb these treasures. It doesn't all have to be spiritually focused material. Helpful ideas can be found in programs on efficiency and vocabulary, for example. In all your listening, however, don't forget the enlightening value of a quiet drive as well.
8. Make the most of group meeting opportunities. A group where sincere men and women meet to delve deeply into life's great questions can be a powerful venue for collecting more knowledge. Just be aware that not all spiritual and wisdom groups are true and healthy, and some take dreadful wrong turns. More than a few foster dependency to support the endless insecurities of the "leaders." For example, unhealthy groups pry into people's affairs. Never forget that your privacy is your sacred right and must never be sacrificed. Just because you participate in a group activity does not mean that you owe them any explanations concerning your private affairs. This prying is a sure sign of a false group.
With self-reliance, what is best and true for you has an amazing way of finding you. Groups are temporary vehicles that can be valuable, but only if there is genuine value in the group.
Use these eight methods and watch your secret garden bloom in your Heart. You'll feel joy and cheerfulness reach you at unexpected moments, and more frequently.
Thomas Russell is the author of Several eBooks, including The Power of Vertical Thinking and Seven Secrets to Light Up Your Essence. He is the host of http://www.SuperWisdom.com and the editor of the SuperWisdom E-zine, read biweekly by more than 20,000 people in 42 countries. He assists professional salespeople, entrepreneurs and home based business owners live with greater energy, creativity and spiritual insight. He has been interviewed on more than 200 radio and TV talk shows.
Advertising by textad.biz
Go Ahead, click an ad, you know you want to.
The 5 Elemental Codes: Seeing Your World Through the Eyes of Universal Understanding (Part 1)
This article is the 1st part of an open response to a question that I encountered online a few years ago in one of the many Martial Arts Ninjutsu forums. The question (paraphrased) was:"What are the 5-elements (earth, wind, water, wood and metal) about that I have seen mentioned in books on ninjutsu?"As is so often the case when dealing with multiple personality types, egos, and the need for instructors to justify their positions and philosophies, the question went unanswered.
It Took a Banker to Show Me What Jesus Was Talking About
On January 13th 1982 an Air Florida flight crashed off the 14th Street Bridge in Washington DC. It was a bridge I had traveled across many times before during the year I lived in DC.
Lectio Divina -- Reading the Bible for Spiritual Growth
Lectio divina is a very useful and practical discipline for spiritual growth. Rooted in ancient monasticism, the practice is a fourfold cycle: Reading, Meditation, Prayer, and Contemplation.
Living Powerfully in the Present Moment
The time we spend on earth is very short when you consider the scope of the universe. Often, we don't see the big picture and get lost in the details.
Americans Need a Savior Not Another Guru
Mrs. Dixon the famous prognosticator and psychic to the stars talked for several hours as my friend sat in the audience and took notes.
If You Want Healing Step Out of the Boat
Did you happen to see the made-for-tv movie, "Jesus," that first aired in 2000? I especially was moved by the scene of Peter stepping out of the boat to walk on the water to Jesus.It was during a storm in the dark of night.
My Experience with Spiritual Healing
Healing is a special gift that any human being can have. It is fortunate that we are provided with the opportunity to acknowledge and develop it.
Alone in a World Filled With Only Me
We come into this world alone, we experience physical life alone and we die alone.As I gain more experienced and become even more aware of my physical and spiritual lives; I realize that I am here alone.
Spirit DancerThe spirit dancer is the card of creative expression. Of exploring our inner truths and desires.
Choose Life or Death
No one, not even God can make us choose the right things. He gave us the freedom of choice where our own lives are concerned.
Enough Warm-ups, Already!
Among those arriving to the stadium early were two old timers: a husband and wife who always attended these events, and who were former runners themselves. In fact, they were world-class champions whose races were the stuff of legends.
Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?
Did you ever see something go wrong around you and suddenly burst out, "How on Earth did I create that?"Really, how can bad things happen, even to the sweetest, kindest, most spiritual people on the planet? Where's the fairness in that?The root of the question lies partly in the fact that we live in a state of polarity consciousness. This is a point of view where life is seen as a contrast between opposing forces, and that events are either good or bad.
Why Angels, Why Now?
The Angelic realms have been very active throughout the human experience. They-as brilliant aspects of your Source-have been offered as protectors and teachers for every one of you.
Discipline of Prayer: Always Connected
Every workday, five days a week, I take the light rail into downtown Dallas. Only last week, this routine finally taught me a lesson about prayer.
The Magic of Tarot Card Reading
The magic of the tarot was obvious to me the first time that someone confirmed that my tarot card reading was accurate. Of course, the first time that I did a tarot reading for someone else I really had no reason to believe that the reading I was about to give could be so revealing.
Stress Strategy: Flex Your Spiritual Muscles
In his book, Stress Without Distress, Dr. Selye suggests that a person's interpretation of stress is not dependent solely on an external event, but also depends upon the perception of the event and the meaning he or she assigns it.
Love vs. Fear - Volume 18
Breaking with tradition, today's article comes from the 9-23-04 edition of Sojomail. Sojomail is produced by Sojourners; an evangelical journal, and calls itself a 'weekly email-zine of spirituality, politics and culture.
7 Wake-Up Calls-Avoid Self Sabotage to Discover Wealth and Prosperity with the Angels of Abundance
It's an almost unbelievable thought, but could you be getting intangible value from having less money than you'd like? Is there something holding you back from attracting all the money you deserve but you can't figure out what it is? Is there some way your deepest beliefs and secret thoughts are sabotaging your best efforts to make money? Try these wake-up calls on for size and see if any of them fit.1.
Life Dont Work That Way
It would be nice if the planet - like so many other things in modern day life - came with a guarantee. "If, for any reason, this planet fails to yield the resources required for, or the environment conducive to, the continuation of the species commonly referred to as homo sapiens, God agrees to replace this planet at no cost to the inhabitants at any time within one eternity at no cost to the inhabitants themselves.
Are You Being In Service? Divine Source
Greetings Divine Ones, I am going to ask you a few questions so that you can simply ask yourself where you stand within your heart and mind, to know whether you are being in service or in servitude.Are you fulfilling the joys within your heart or are you struggling to discover what your joys are?Are you trying to attain anything outside of yourself to feel better? Or are you loving the process of all that lies within the attainment?Are you sacrificing your truth on any level of your life? Or are you sharing your truth with yourself and all others, regardless of what others might think, say or do?Being "in service" means that you are serving from the joys in your heart because it brings you joy to do so.
|home | site map|